Thursday, January 8, 2015

Mini-update

I brazed the brake and chainstay bridges on Monday.  I wanted to keep the height consistent between the front and back brake.  I also wanted the fender mounts to be the same distance from the dropout.  


I measured things out with a pair of Anvil axles and a bent brazing rod.  Once I had the approximate position of the bridge, I found the widths of the deepest cuts with a caliper, added some breathing room, marked them, and went to work with a file.  It took some trial and error, but I got things nice and even for the brake bridge.  Doing the last tiny bit with some emery cloth and a scrap seat stay really helped.


The brazing went pretty smoothly. I think I'm starting to get the hang of 50N silver.


Here's one of the fender eyelets in inaction.  I just drilled a hole in each bridge, cut the eyelet short enough not to get in the way of brake mounting, etc, and brazed it in place.



Next week: sealing the seat stays, touch up with solder, grinding out the tubes in the BB area, thinking about cargo racks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave questions, comments, and criticism. In all three cases, please keep it classy.