Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Rear Triangle!

Over the last week I've gotten the rest of the rear triangle done.  Step one was getting the other chainstay installed and adjusted to keep the rear wheel straight.  I was pretty close and it only took a bit of bending to get it to 90 degrees.  As before, I referenced the head tube to try to keep everything in line.



Then it was on to the seatstays.  I really like a particular kind of scalloped end cap.  It's made by brass brazing a piece of 31.8 tubing to the end, then cutting it out and filing it down.  I use brass because it won't melt when silver brazing the finished piece on the side of the seat lug.

Miter template and rough cut.
Finished miter and notch.
The notch increases the
surface area of the braze.

Trimming the excess, post brazing.

Stays: completed.



Attaching the stays was pretty straightforward.  A little pressure at the top and a pin in each dropout kept things in place while I got the first two brazes done, then I moved the clamp down to braze the tops.  Both were done with 50N silver because the bottom was a bit gappy and the top needed to build up a bit of a fillet for strength.





Brazed!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave questions, comments, and criticism. In all three cases, please keep it classy.