Over the last week I've gotten the rest of the rear triangle done. Step one was getting the other chainstay installed and adjusted to keep the rear wheel straight. I was pretty close and it only took a bit of bending to get it to 90 degrees. As before, I referenced the head tube to try to keep everything in line.
Then it was on to the seatstays. I really like a particular kind of scalloped end cap. It's made by brass brazing a piece of 31.8 tubing to the end, then cutting it out and filing it down. I use brass because it won't melt when silver brazing the finished piece on the side of the seat lug.
|Miter template and rough cut.|
|Finished miter and notch. |
The notch increases the
surface area of the braze.
|Trimming the excess, post brazing.|
Attaching the stays was pretty straightforward. A little pressure at the top and a pin in each dropout kept things in place while I got the first two brazes done, then I moved the clamp down to braze the tops. Both were done with 50N silver because the bottom was a bit gappy and the top needed to build up a bit of a fillet for strength.