Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cargo Rack, Part 3


In this series: Part 1Part 2Part 3Part 4.


Fillets!





I finally got around to doing the fillets on the rack.  I like doing fillets.  You can see what you're doing a lot more easily than you can when you're trying to flow bronze under a lug.  Something about there not being a sheet of metal between you and what you're working on.


Here's one that I started to clean up.  You can see that the fillet forms a nice smooth transition between the tubes.  There were a few spots where I didn't build up quite enough filler for that, but they're inconspicuous.  Considering how thick I made the fillets overall, I'm not worried about it  being structurally unsound.  

If I'm feeling especially neurotic I'll fill the little gaps in with J.B. Weld.  Since that particular epoxy has a bunch of powdered metal in it, the powder coat will stick to it.

Sneak Peak

In our next episode, I'll get into how I'm making the wooden deck for this rack.  It's all lasers and power tools!



In this series: Part 1Part 2Part 3Part 4.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave questions, comments, and criticism. In all three cases, please keep it classy.